Tools And Techniques For Drilling Holes To Insert Nails
Whether you plan to hang a wall clock, picture, or painting, drilling holes is an important part of decorating your home. It is also a basic skill that you should learn before engaging in any carpentry project. To do this, you need to know about the different tools and techniques used in drilling.
The tools used in drilling holes vary, from the most basic hand-operated drill to the more recent drill press. Likewise, there are also different methods or techniques for drilling holes. Knowledge of these tools and methods can help you succeed in your drilling projects.
Learn How to Drill for Inserting Nails
Before you insert a nail or a screw into any surface, you need to drill a pilot hole first. Likewise, before you install a bold or pin two boards together, drilling a hole is essential. Once you learn how to do this, you can perform a variety of projects and even home repairs.
The first thing you need to learn is about the different tools that you can use in drilling holes. You should also be familiar with drilling techniques and methods. This way, you can work on your project with skill and safety.
Tools Used in Drilling Holes
Drilling involves the use of bits, which will bore the holes into wood and other surfaces. Bits comes in different sizes, with diameters ranging from 1/16 inch to 1/2 inch. You can also find bits that are larger than these sizes.
The drill itself comes in variety of models and functions. Here are the different types of drills that are often used for drilling holes to insert nails:
Brace and Bit Drill
This is a traditional method for drilling holes. The brace contains a chuck on one end and a grip or knob on the other end. The chuck helps in securing the bit, while the grip enables a person to put pressure and force the bit into a surface.
In this method, the carpenter is able to turns the bit and brace in a clockwise manner. This continuous drilling action creates the hole for inserting a nail. This method is not so common these days but remains as a basic technique for drilling holes.
Just like the the brace and bit method, the hand-operated drill uses the same method. The main feature of this type of drill is a crank, which has a mechanism that operates the bit and chuck. The hand-operated drill is not expensive and you can use it even in a limited working space.
Electric Drill and Battery-Powered Drill
Carpenters have been using the electric drill for many years now. But these days, more and more people prefer the battery-powered drill. They are cordless, which means that you do not have to worry about electric wires and tangles while you work.
A more recent technology in drilling is the drill press, which some carpenters are willing to spend money on. As the name implies, this equipment sits on a workbench, but there are larger drill presses that sit on the floor.
The drill press has a still column joining the base to the top, which contains a motor that powers the chuck. It also has a mechanism that you can use to raise or lower a bit. You can begin by placing the workpiece on a table that is connected to a vertical column.
The awesome thing about the drill press is that it enables you to drill holes with great precision. You can drill a hole at a preset angle. You can also drill on the same location repeatedly with the use of a stop black and a fence.
Methods for Drilling Holes to Insert Nails
Drilling holes at a right angle to the workpiece can be quite tricky if you use a power drill or a hand drill. You need to have sharp vision and good hand to eye coordination for this. Aside from this, there are various methods that you can do for accurate hole-drilling:
- Use a drill guide. You can buy drill guides of different sizes in most hardware stores. Just place a guide on the wall or surface and insert the bit through it for drilling a hole at the right depth and angle.
- Make your own drill guide with the use of a drill press. Just drill holes of different sizes into several wooden blocks. Use this in the same way that you would use a drill guide bought from the hardware store.
- Check the diameter of the drill guide. When you use a drill guide over and over, the hole may get a little bigger and make it harder to drill with precision. To avoid this problem, make a new set of drill guides every now and then.
- To help you in aligning your bit, use a piece of wooden board. Cut a square or rectangular piece from the board to make a right angle. You can put the bit into this corner to align your drilling work.
- Check the size of the hole. It is a good idea for the pilot holes to be a little smaller in diameter than the nails. This way, you can prevent the workpiece or board from splitting and cracking.
- Maintain a stable body position. If you keep the position of your body stable, this can help you drill holes better. From a stable position, you can hold your drill at a right angle to the wall or surface.
Drilling a hole for inserting nails takes skill and practice. You need to be familiar with the different tools used in drilling holes. You should also learn various methods or techniques for drilling holes with great precision and accuracy.
Before using any of the tools presented above, make sure that you are properly dressed for the part. You also need to handle your drills, bits and nails with care. After all, your safety is important whenever you plan to work on a drilling project.