The Perimetric Workholding Method For Cylindrical Grinder
Any device used to secure and protect an object from the forces of a grinding machine is called workholding. It involves different workholding methods or systems. One such system is perimetric workholding for cylindrical grinder.
What Is Perimetric Workholding For Cylindrical Grinder?
The perimetric workholding method is one of the most recent advancements in cylindrical grinding. This method has some similarities with centerless grinding, but there are some differences, too.
The perimetric workholding method works with ground blanks that are centerless, just like the chuck and collet method.In guiding the workpiece and guide blade, the perimetric workholding system makes use of a regulating roller. This is what makes it similar to centerless grinding.
The main difference is that the perimetric workholding method can locate and qualify the guide blade with greater precision.
The perimetric workholding system also uses a tension roller, which can make a solid contact with the workpiece. Furthermore, in this method the grinding wheel moves in a direction that is relative to the workpiece. This is different from centerless grinding, which uses only a single axis.
How The Perimetric System Began
Machinists have been doing the basic perimetric workholding method for more than 50 years. But the word “perimetric” itself was introduced only in recent times.When it first came out, many people could not distinguish between the perimetric workholding system and centerless grinding.
But the method was modified and refined over the years. Today, more people are aware of the differences between the two systems.
Advantages Of The Perimetric Method
Since the perimetric workholding system is dynamic, you do not have to worry so much about contamination. Despite this, you should still try to keep your work area and set-up clean at all times.
The lower risk of contamination makes the perimetric method more advantageous than a stationary workholding system. In such as system, there is a higher risk of contaminants getting trapped between the workpiece and the collet. This will affect the whole grinding process.
When you use the perimetric workholding method, there is a dynamic movement between your workpiece and the guide parts. There is a coolant that flushes these components, so these are less likely to be contaminated.There may be instances when a contaminant still manages to enter the system.
But even when this happens, the grinding wheel is still operating in line with the work blade. And so, the contaminant will not affect the accuracy of your workpiece.Another advantage of the perimetric workholding system is its flexibility and simplicity.
In recent years, it also comes with both hardware and software technologies. These features are able to deal with variations in blank size, changes in temperature, and grinding wheel wear.
Another advantage of the perimetric workholding method is repeatability when you load and reload. Since the part rolls along the shank of the workpiece with great precision, you can remove and inspect it with ease.
The system is also perfect when you need to regrind your tools as there will be minimal runout.One more advantage of the perimetric workholding system is that it eliminates the need for indicating a part.
It takes about 30 seconds for an operator to indicate a part. When you take away this step, you can work faster and with greater efficiency.
Limitations Of The Perimetric Method
The perimetric workholding system does not come without limitations, though. It is limited in terms of diameter and length. This makes the system unsuitable for fluting and other heavy kinds of grinding.
Despite these limitations, the perimetric workholding system is able to compensate by controlling parallelism. It can also work with complicated shapes and control tapers as well as back-tapers.
Features Of Perimetric Grinding Machines
Today, there are different kinds of perimetric grinding machines. But most of them share the same important features. Some of these are as follows: Perimetric grinding machines are compact and easy to handle. This makes it easy for the machinist to carry them around anywhere.
- Perimetric grinding machines often come with a cooling or cleaning function that lessens dust and contamination. You can work without having to worry about generating too much dust.
- Perimetric grinding machines come with different parts and accessories that you can use for working on various objects. You will only need one machine for working on different projects.
- Using the perimetric grinding machine results in a high level of precision. No matter what the shape of your workpiece is, you can use this machine to get accurate results.
- You can adjust the height of the perimetric grinding machine. This way, you can work with greater ease and comfort.
Using Perimetric Grinding Machines
As mentioned earlier, you can use a perimetric grinding machine in different ways for various projects. Here are some of the most common uses of the machine:
- Perimetric grinding machines have a system driven by gears. These are durable and reliable. You can expect to use them for a long time.
- You can modify the rotating speed of your perimetric grinding machine with a frequency converter. This makes it possible for you to use it in multiple projects.
- Perimetric grinding machines also come with a counter rotation system. This features makes the machine an excellent tool when you need to grind different kinds of surfaces.
- Perimetric grinding machines have parts or accessories that can help you save time and energy. This means that you can save on operational costs in the long run.
The perimetric workholding system is perhaps the most recent among all the workholding systems used in grinding machines. This makes it ideal for workpieces that need a high level of accuracy and precision. It is also more dynamic than other workholding systems.
Whether you prefer perimetric workholding for cylindrical grinder or other methods, do not neglect your own safety. Wearing protective gear like face masks, working gloves, and loose clothing is your best protection when using such machines.
When you are protected, you can work with safety regardless of the workholding method that you choose.